THIS IS WORTH THE WAIT!
DIVE THE BEST OF FIJI ABOARD NAI'A LIVEABOARD.....
Why does Fiji have the World's Best Diving?
The NAI’A itinerary appeals to both experienced and beginning divers. Until NAI’A opened up flourishing new areas, few people had ever experienced the untamed diving Fiji has to offer. Rob and the NAI'A crew have explored all corners of the country diving on nearly every promising reef or passage. The standard itinerary encompasses the absolute pick of that crop. And the daily schedule is carefully designed to provide maximum quality time underwater.
Here are 9 reasons why Fiji's diving is so magnificent...
- Fiji is located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, far from the major continents and their pollution and overpopulation.
- Fiji anchors one corner of the Coral Triangle. It is the last big reef structure for species hopping east from Indonesia.
- Fiji is the first major reef structure encountered by species driven by trade winds and currents from the east.
- Fiji’s reefs are diverse and distributed around and between more than 300 islands ranging from atolls to cloud forests.
- Fiji’s water temperature is in the perfect range for varied and rapid coral growth which equals good fish populations.
- Fiji, particularly central Fiji, has just the right balance of rain and runoff to provide nutrients to coral and fish. And the upwelling caused by the deep current that surges through the Vatu-i-ra channel brings nutrients up from the deep.
- Fiji’s barriers reefs protect the reefs in central Fiji from damaging waves and provide seed reefs and plenty of new recruits no matter which way the current is running.
- Scientists have established that the Lomaiviti area contains “globally significant habitats, species and natural processes” and supports some of the highest fish abundance and biomass in the Indo-Pacific.
- Central Fiji has displayed exceptional resilience to and recovery from coral bleaching.
Fiji's Sharks, Mantas and Big Fish
Sharks have had a rough go of it for the last several decades, with governments reluctant to afford them the protection they deserve and most topsiders indifferent, if not hostile, toward them. Divers are at the vanguard of shark protection because we understand better than those who don’t dive that the ocean is a complex ecosystem that absolutely requires healthy top predators to thrive.
Fiji is fortunate that sharks here are less preyed upon than in most other countries. So the reefs that NAI’A dives have healthy populations of white-tip, hammerhead and grey reef sharks. Black-tip, tiger, bull, nurse, and silver-tip sharks are not uncommon, but you have to be lucky to see one. They’re shy.
White-tips and grey reef sharks are pretty much everywhere and our most reliable sites for hammerheads are the offshore seamounts of Mt. Mutiny and E-6, as well as the Namena Marine Reserve and Wakaya. When Howard Hall and his crew were diving deep to make the IMAX film Coral Reef Adventure, they often encountered giant schools of scalloped hammerheads, but they were below 275ft! We regularly see the singletons or small schools that come up to have a look at the funny things blowing bubbles up shallow.
NAI’A divers often encounter resident manta rays feeding in the outgoing current or getting cleaned at offshore cleaning stations or, like this one, coming by to say hi!
NAI’A has set new standards of live-aboard luxury since her launch in 1993. Purpose-built of Dutch steel to carry a few lucky divers in utmost comfort, she was completely refit in 2010 with the latest technology and generous use of space. While many of NAI'A's innovative design features are invisible to passengers, they ensure unlimited hot showers and staterooms that are always fresh and cool. This ship provides guests with all the comforts (and more!) of a quality land-based location - but with far superior diving and a new view every day.
Join us on the epic adventure exploring the best of Fiji islands.
10 days / 9 nights
- All meals included whilst onboard MV Nai'a
Need travel insurance? We use & recommend Fast Cover travel insurance